Goals and Mission
Teachers, like artists, influence learning processes through their personality, interest and energy they expend. So, professionals of education found a way to improve the quality of education. they decided to establish the Education Development Center. The first Education Development Center was established in 1958 at the Western Reserve University. The World Teacher Training Program was designed and implemented at the Illinois University Development Center in Chicago in 1969.
In Iran, the Department of Medical Education in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences established an Education Development Center to train faculty members in 1972.
The Deputy of Educational Affairs of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education formed a Center of Study and Development of Medical Education in 1989. Centers of Study and Development of Medical Education have been established since then to promote the level of education of Medical Sciences.
The Center of Study and Development of Medical Education of SEMUMS was established in 1996. It is currently one of the managements of the affiliated units of the Deputy of Educational Affairs.
The missions of the Center of Study and Development of Medical Education of SEMUMS are:
- Improving the education of departments of medical sciences of SEMUMS quantitatively and qualitatively through empowering professors, managers and experts, using appropriate and new technology, accurate educational planning and supervision, curriculum planning, supervision and evaluation, research in education,
- Training of teachers and providing appropriate services to faculty members, students and staff in the field of education,
- Expanding the boundaries of knowledge by using talented university students,
- Paying special attention to individual differences of students to increase their human dignity, level of knowledge and efficiency based on the needs of the university and society.
The goals of it is to improve the standards and quality of education in the strategic programs of SEMUMS by using new management methods in higher education, in order to raise the level of knowledge and efficiency of educational skills in faculty members and learners based on community needs.
- Promoting educational standards
- Promoting research in education
- Evaluating the effectiveness of teaching-learning with different methods
- Promoting students' awareness through access to up-to-date knowledge
- Promoting the knowledge, attitude and ability of professors
- Developing e-learning and distance learning
- Flourishing brilliant talents in the university
The Center of the Study and Development of Medical Education of SEMUMS uses successful national and international experiences, educational planning units or committees, empowering faculty members, monitoring and evaluating, brilliant talents, research in education, The Shahid Motahari Festival Committee and the Education Development Offices of the affiliated colleges and educational centers (EDO), etc. to promote the education of medical science.
- Empowering faculty members in the field of education of medical science in accordance with existing standards
- Empowering faculty members and improving the quality of education through research in education
- Improving the monitoring and evaluating system of the education system in the field of evaluation of faculty members, educational programs, students and educational courses
- Developing the use of new technologies in line with educational planning and medical education research
- Holding training workshops based on needs assessment
- Developing new disciplines quantitatively and qualitatively in accordance with the needs of society
- Reviewing the educational programs of all majors in the university
- Organizing and supervising the implementation of academic achievement tests
- evaluating professors and heads of departments Continuously
- Evaluating the center's staff continuously
- Identifying excellent students and brilliant talents and enabling them to participate in meetings, educational, research and welfare councils, etc.
- Introducing excellent and talented students to the National Elite Organization and the relevant ministry to use the facilities
- Holding students' scientific Olympiads
- Organizing periodic meetings with students
- Determining research priorities and related support in the university website
- Strengthening and equipping the center's library to meet the needs of faculty members interested in credible and new resources in the field of medical education
- Supporting research projects in education and encouraging researchers to use the results obtained in the education process
- Attracting faculty members and using their abilities in holding training courses, workshops and monthly meetings of the center
- Inviting prominent professors to hold workshops and training sessions
- Performing educational needs assessment of educational managers, faculty members, staff
- Identifying and involving governmental and non-governmental organizations that can work with EDC to promote medical education.
- Monitoring the skills lab training activities and its continuous evaluation
- Developing new information and communication technology
- Supervising the development offices of colleges and hospitals (EDO)
- Collaborating in the participation of professors and staff in medical education congresses and conferences